According to the Act on the Movement and Residence of Foreign Nationals, after entering Croatia, foreign nationals must register their residence within 48 hours. The physical or legal person offering accommodation to foreign visitors must report them within 24 hours.
- The Hotel and Restaurant Activity Act forbids setting up tents, trailers, motor homes and other camping equipment outside the camps!
- It is recommended to deposit larger amounts of money, jewelry and other valuable items at reception desks of hotels and other tourist facilities!
- All visitors, Croatian and foreign nationals alike, residing outside of their place of permanent residence, in one of the tourist facilities (hotels, motels, inns, tourist apartments, rooms to let, health resorts, mountain lodges, marinas, vacation homes and similar), must pay the residence tax.
The following persons are also obligated to pay the residence tax:
- Owner of a residential or a vacation house in a tourist destination, as well as all persons residing in such a house.
- Owner of a vessel, as well as all other persons being accommodated onboard a vessel berthed at a marina.
- Residence tax is paid per person for each day of your stay. Residence tax is not paid by: children up to 12 years of age; persons with a 70% disability or more and with one escort ; participants in school package arrangements (package travels) approved by an educational institution; season workers; close family members of the citizens of tourist community or the city; passengers on a passenger ship in international maritime transport when the ship is berthed in the harbor; owners of holiday homes and members of their families if the holiday home is an autochthonous old family house inherited by the testator whose last place of residence was in the tourist community or the city when the owners are staying over night in this house; persons that use overnight stay service as part of the social service programme; students and pupils who do not have a registered place of residence in the tourist community or city they are being educated in.
- Residence tax reduced by 50% is paid by persons between 12 and 18 years of age; persons up to 29 years of age who are members of international youth organizations when they are using overnight services in youth accommodation facilities that are included in the international network of youth accommodation facilities IYHF.
- Passengers who use accommodation services on the nautical tourism vessel shall pay the residence tax per each realized overnight stay. Nautical tourism vessel is a vessel for holiday and recreation and a vessel for several-day cruises where nautical tourism services are provided (charter, cruising) in accordance with the regulations on providing the services in tourism.
- The owner or user of the vessel must pay residence tax in lump sum for himself and all persons staying overnight on this vessel. Sailors can pay residence tax in fixed amount for 8, 15, 30 and 90 days or for a one-year period. After making a payment the taxpayer is issued a receipt. A vessel is every kind of craft longer than 5 meters with built-in beds, used for vacation, recreation or cruise, and is not considered a nautical tourism vessel.